Thursday, June 23, 2011

Why is it so hard to make a masculine card?


In the glorious summer months, I don't have to work.  (I went to school for six years for this, and will be repaying that debt FOREVER mind you).  Instead, I fill my days with reading, lounging around with no purpose, digging in my garden, and immersing myself in my craftroom.  On Fridays, however a friend and I head out at 7:30 to set up for the Farmer's Market.  Yes, I know this is an old lady thing to do, but I'm fine with that.  Just like birdwatching and quilting, I am fully comfortable knowing that my hobbies are that of retired ladies, and nursing home dwellers.  I don't care.

Throughout the year I make a few cards here and there when my workload isn't too crazy.  Basically this means fall, winter, and spring break, and near the end when we're wrapping things up.  I can come up with unlimited cards to make which utilize all of the fabulous toys and products that fill every free space of the room my husband only dares to enter.  However, I find that the majority of my cards are not exactly manly.  It was a colleague's birthday yesterday, and I looked in my giant stash of cards to pull one out for him, and realized that I have no testosterone-appropriate birthday cards.  What to do!  Luckily I thought of Plane and Simple and put something together for him quickly whilst downing coffee (and burning my esophagus) and putting on mascara (and poking myself in the eye).  

I have now pledged to spend my next full day in the craftroom making many cards.  I'm trying to think of the sets that I have that could be manly, and there aren't a lot.  I'm starting to think that even though I don't personally love the sets with trucks and wolves and ships, maybe I should purchase a few.  But for now, Nature Walk and Plane and Simple will have to do.  I figure that green and brown are manyly enough, even of there is a bird.

Stamps:  Nature Walk
Ink:  Early Espresso, Old Olive
Paper:  Crumb Cake, Early Espresso, Botanical Gazette

No comments:

Post a Comment