Friday, February 18, 2011

Birthday Cards

My mother-in-law and cousin both have their birthdays this month so I wanted to make them some special cards.



Donna's card:

I saw the video for the paper rose on Youtube (love looking at crafting stuff on there) and decided I had to try it out.  It took me quite a while to do this one, but I really like it and think that I'll do it again.  I mixed it with a polka dot texture in the background, and layered a piece of ribbon and patterned paper on top of that.  To finish it off I used the modern label punch and some bling to bring it all together ( I love using rhinestones on my cards).







Amber's card:

"Nature Walk" (#121997) is in the Occasions mini catalogue, and when I saw this bird I knew I had to have it.  There are a bunch of beautiful vintage looking stamps in this set, but this is by far my favourite.  I started with an Early Espresso card and added some layering to get a nice variety of colours.  For the back piece I used Baja Breeze, and layered a piece of textured Crumb Cake on top of that.  I used the First Edition DSP (#121878) on top of a scalloped piece of EE cardstock, and wrapped it with Very Vanilla ribbon.  Both the image and the sentiment are stamped on VV that was stamped with a faint En Francais background (that is THE BEST background stamp.  Ever.).

I like birthday-y cards for kids, but I think it's nice to just add a birthday sentiment to a regular card.  You've got so much more variety this way.  That being said, I think this weekend (I'm blocking Saturday as a full geekin' out day) I am going to make a stack of traditional birthday cards with my "Bring on the Cake" set that seems to be calling to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment