Thursday, September 1, 2011

Tiles Tiles Everywhere


Ok, so here's my post about these awesome tiles.  This is definitely not my creation, but I'm too lazy to find where the idea came from, and I'm sure about 500 other people have also posted about it, so whatever.

You will need the stuff in the picture above (Modgepodge, 4 x 4 tiles - glossy finish is just fine, 3.75 x 3.75 pieces of scrapbooking paper, a sponge brush, acrylic sealer, and some felt for the backs).  Extra tools include cup of tea, stack of cookies to dip in tea, and chocolates to nibble on once your cookies run out and you're still waiting for things to dry.

Cut up your paper (I did mine in sets of 6 - 2 pieces of coordinating paper will give you 3 sets of coasters) and lay down some newspaper so you don't wreck the place.


Using your sponge brush, cover the surface of the tile with MP.  Don't be skimpy on this layer since you really need the paper to stick so it doesn't lift up.  That said, be sensible.  It shouldn't look like the kids from the daycare next door are making these things.

Once you've covered your tile with the MP, line up your paper so that all sides are even.  Gently press down on your paper and then starting from one corner, apply pressure with your fingers so that the paper is applied evenly, and there are no air bubbles.  Air bubbles = headache and cursing later on.


After the paper's down, put on another layer of MP.  Once this dries, you're going to do another layer or two, depending on how ambitious you are.  On the second layer, you'll be able to see the MP a little bit, but it dries clear, so don't freak out.  Again, I'll remind you that it shouldn't look like a four year old is in charge though.

Once your MP is dry (I left mine over night just to be sure) apply a nice generous coating of acrylic sealer to your tiles.  They should be nice and shiny.  Don't skimp here either.  The bottle is about $10 and it will easily cover about 150 tiles.  This is the layer that makes them water resistant.



Make sure that you spray your tiles in a place that you can leave them over night.  The can I used said you could handle them within an hour, but I'm not taking any chances.

After you're sure the sealer is dry, apply felt backing so they don't scratch up your table.  I bought the sheets of sticky-backed  stuff at Wal Mart for about $4, and cut it into 3x3 pieces.  One package took care of 60 coasters.  Once you're done, tie 'em up with a pretty bow and voila!  Instant present.

You can go gonzo like I am and make a whole lot in one sitting and then give them to everyone that you know for Christmas.  Of you can be like an ordinary person and just make a few for some close friends.

Oh, speaking of paper.  The thicker paper required more layers of MP than the thin stuff did.  

Hope you like this one!

3 comments:

  1. God you're so funny. I love your little funnies in amongst the instructions. And geez did these ever turn out great! Can't wait to see them in person. Maybe I'll even find some in my stocking this year. Hint, hint, strong hint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - these are gorgeous!!!!! I have never seen this before. I am doing a coaster class later this month and will add these in. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you broke this down! Will come in handy when I try to make my own ~ Thanks for the inspiration! Suzie (your FB SU Demo friend) :)

    ReplyDelete